On April 10, 2017, the government’s review of Canada’s fundamental science research, “Investing in Canada’s Future: Strengthening the Foundations of Canadian Research,” was submitted to the Government of Canada. The panel was Chaired by former University of Toronto President Dr. David Naylor. Th report made a series of compelling recommendations for the future of research in Canada.
“The Naylor report lays out a bold vision for transformative re-investment in scientific discovery and innovation, offering a blueprint for sustained excellence in university-led research across disciplines.”
– Universities Canada
The report, “Investing in Canada’s Future,” is available online.
To read a statement of support from the Vice-President Research & Innovation at York University, Robert Haché, published on April 19, 2017, visit the VPRI website.
Universities Canada President Paul Davidson published an Op Ed on the Canadian Science Policy Centre website on April 19, 2017.
Universities Canada offers a comprehensive website page dedicated to the report and what researchers can do to actively support it. Resources on that page contain the following links:
- Response to the Fundamental Science Review Report with Science Minister Kirsty Duncan, August 17, 2017
- Talent for growth, Canada’s window of opportunity, Vancouver Sun, July 18, 2017
- Canada can fill the research gap, Policy Options, July 7, 2017
- Trudeau government must invest in basic science: Editorial, The Toronto Star, July 3, 2017
- Science Minister Kirsty Duncan ready to begin science funding overhaul, The Globe and Mail, June 28, 2017
- Canadian scientists labouring under massive funding gap, report finds, The Toronto Star, June 28, 2017
- Canada’s basic science at risk of fading away, report argues, Wayne Kondro, Science magazine, June 28, 2017
- Research community awaits government response to science review, Derek Abma, The Hill Times, June 26, 2017
- Quantum computing, brain research top list for new US-Canada collaborations, Debbie Lawes, Re$search Money, June 14, 2017
- Universities, industry, and research say substantial investments in research needed on regular basis, Marco Vigliotti, The Hill Times, June 5, 2017
- Making the case for discovery research, Martha Crago, v-p, research, Dalhousie University, University Affairs, June 2, 2017
- A clear call to move Canadian research forward, Dr. Alan Bernstein and Dr. Janet Rossant, Globe and Mail, April 19, 2017
- Naylor Report lays the groundwork to renew basic research in Canada, Anqi Shen, University Affairs, April 12, 2017
- Collection of media stories, Canadian Science Policy Centre
- Building B.C.’s Innovation Economy: What will it take to become a global leader?, Andrew Petter, president, Simon Fraser University, May 30, 2017
- Restoring Canada’s Competitiveness in Fundamental Research: The View from the Bench, Global Young Academy, June 2017